lmu judicial affairs faqs

These are questions frequently asked by Loyola Marymount University students who have been documented for Student Conduct Code violations. The information below is also found in the Judicial Affairs brochure.

  • Judicial Process

    I was just documented. What should I do?

    Check your University e-mail account on a regular basis. You may receive an email from Judicial Affairs. If you live on campus you may also check with your Resident Director (RD). You may contact the Department of Judicial Affairs, (310) 338-1821, located in Malone 355, regarding next steps.

    I received a letter from Judicial Affairs. What should I do next?

    If you have been assigned a hearing, attend the hearing. If not, call the Judicial Officer(s) who sent you the letter (their phone number is provided in the letter).

    If I have questions about the judicial process where should I go?

    Please contact the Department of Judicial Affairs. Other resources include Residence Life Staff (RDs and Assistant Directors), Judicial Officers, First Year Experience staff, or the Dean of Students Office.

    I would like to view a copy of the incident report prior to my hearing, how do I receive that?

    If you live on campus and a residence life report has been generated, it will be included in the allegation letter sent from the Judicial Officer(s) assigned to your incident. All other reports, including, but not limited to, Public Safety Reports, will be made available to you in the Department of Judicial Affairs, Malone 355; (310) 338.1821.

    I want to bring a witness to my judicial hearing. How do I do that?

    Notify the Judicial Officer(s) in advance if you plan to bring a witness or witnesses to the hearing. The Judicial Officer(s) will meet with you privately first. The Judicial Officer(s) will then meet with each witness individually. Witnesses should be individuals who were witness to the actual incident and/or allegations. Character witnesses are disfavored. 

    Am I permitted to have an Advisor at my judicial hearing?

    Yes. Please notify the Judicial Officer(s) in advance if you plan to bring an Advisor to the hearing. Be aware that Advisors must be members of the LMU Community (excluding Law School faculty, staff and students) and must not be related to you.

    What happens at a judicial hearing?

    The Judicial Officer(s) review(s) the judicial process and procedures with you. You will review the incident(s) report with the Judicial Officer(s) and present your experience of the incident to the Judicial Officer(s). After the hearing you will receive a letter from the Judicial Officer(s) informing you of the findings of the hearing.

    What do I do when I receive my decision letter from the Judicial Officer?

    Complete the sanctions as outlined in your letter. If you have any questions, please contact your Judicial Officer(s) or the Department of Judicial Affairs immediately.

  • Sanctioning

    What are possible sanctions?

    Depending on the offense, possible sanctions include, but are not limited to, disciplinary warnings, fines, educational sanctions, removal from University Housing, suspension and/or dismissal from the University.

    Possible sanctions for first alcohol offenses may include, but are not limited to, a disciplinary warning, monetary fine, parental notification and attending an alcohol education program. Sanctions for subsequent alcohol violations may include additional fines, further education programs, removal from housing, probation and/or suspension from the University.

    Possible sanctions for first marijuana offenses may include, but are not limited to, disciplinary and/or housing probation, drug testing, monetary fines, education programs, removal from housing, suspension and/or dismissal from the University.

    How long can I be on probation or suspended from the University?

    Depending on your case, you may be placed on probation anywhere from a semester to the remainder of your tenure at the University. Suspensions range from a semester to an indefinite period of time.

    Are the sanctions that I have been assigned consistent with other students’ sanctions?

    Cases are evaluated on an individual basis. For a list of possible sanctions, please reference the LMU Community Standards booklet.

    If I don’t complete my sanctions, what will happen to me?

    Failure to complete your sanctions may subject you to further disciplinary action. Please reference your decision letter for potential consequences for not completing your sanctions.

    If I disagree with my sanctions, what are my options?

    You may submit an appeal petition to the Student Conduct Committee c/o the Department of Judicial Affairs in Malone Student Center 355.

  • Appeals

    What are grounds for an appeal?

    Per the Student Conduct Code Section IX Letter A, the following are grounds for an appeal:

    1. The sanction is substantially disproportionate to the offense.
    2. The procedures provided for in the Student Conduct Code were not materially followed resulting in significant prejudice to the student.
    3. New, relevant evidence is available which in the exercise of reasonable diligence could not have been produced at the time of the hearing.
    4. The decision is not supported by substantial evidence.

    If I’m in the appeal process, am I required to complete my sanctions by their assigned deadline?

    No. Once a letter of appeal has been submitted to the Department of Judicial Affairs all sanctions are held in abeyance until the Student Conduct Committee hears the appeal, unless otherwise stated in your decision letter. If sanctions are upheld, you will be issued new deadlines for completion by the Student Conduct Committee.

    Will I appear before the Student Conduct Committee?

    No. Appeals are only considered in writing and the Committee is provided your written appeal along with information from your incident. You will not be asked to attend a meeting of the Student Conduct Committee, unless you have been suspended or dismissed from the University or you are a Respondent or Complainant involved in an alleged sexual harassment/sexual misconduct violation. In the event of a suspension or dismissal, or your involvement as a Respondent or Complainant in an alleged sexual harassment/sexual misconduct violation, you will appear before the Committee in person for what is called a de novo hearing.

    If I submit an appeal, how will I receive the Student Conduct Committee’s decision?

    You will receive a decision letter via your University email account, in the same fashion that you received prior judicial communication.

    Who is on the Student Conduct Committee?

    The Student Conduct Committee is made up of students , faculty, staff, and resident ministers.

  • Disciplinary Records

    Are my disciplinary records confidential?

    Yes. Only you and Judicial Affairs staff have access to your disciplinary records. You may, however, sign an authorization to release your judicial information to another person (i.e. parent or Study Abroad program).

    I have a disciplinary record. Can I study abroad?

    All students must receive clearance from the Department of Judicial Affairs. Any student with a judicial record may forfeit the opportunity to participate in a Study Abroad program.