"El Espejo", Spanish for "mirror," is inspired by the experience of encountering another person and recognizing a common connection; our motto is “I see myself in you”. El Espejo is a mentoring program which connects more than 80 Loyola Marymount University students with over 150 high-risk students at Lennox Middle School.
El Espejo serves to educate, mentor, and establish a bond with inner city youth in order to promote a better understanding of the possibilities of personal and intellectual growth. It provides leadership, support advice and awareness on crucial issues facing the Latino community.
El Espejo provides tutor/mentor training, family events, and recreational activities. It is a program that builds friendships and teaches the mentees not only academics but to have fun as well. Educational trips are planned throughout the year. During the spring, one of the great events El Espejo sponsors is LMS students spending the night at LMU with their mentors, the "LMU Overnight."
Apply to be a Mentor
To apply to be a mentor, please complete the Fall 2017 El Espejo Application on LMU EXP Online (LEO).
Why El Espejo?
- Because LMU students are giving back to a community that truly needs them.
- Because LMU students become mentors who build real bonds and connect with their own LMS students.
- Because El Espejo’s one on one focus allows for friendships to blossom.
- Because there are great activities and events to participate in that are just plain fun!
- Because it is one of the greatest gifts to be able to inspire a child to reach for the stars and follow their dreams.
- Because being a role model in a world that lacks positive adult figures can change a child’s life forever.
- Because it is a program you will fall in love with!!
Contact El Espejo
For more information about El Espejo, email us at email@example.com.