The Community Action Grant is awarded to an LMU student (project manager) who submits a project proposal to complete 8-week service project during the spring semester. The recipient will receive a $1,000 grant to fund project expenses, materials and supplies. The project proposal must involve a minimum of eight LMU students as peer supporters of this project. Clubs and organizations may apply as one group, but must list the names of the project collaborators.
The non-profit organization selected by the applicant must be a classified 501 (c) (3) located in Los Angeles, California and may not include an organization previously affiliated with this grant during the previous academic year.
The grant recipient will receive a grant award of $1,000 and will be disbursed on a reimbursement process. Recipients may submit copies of receipts and/or invoices to the Center for Service and Action for processing. Project must be completed no later than Friday, April 22, 2016.
Button Module: Download the 2016 Riordan Community Action Grant Application now.
Grant Application Process
Application form and essay answers must be typed (no handwritten documents will be accepted). Applications may be submitted via email to Lorena.Chavez@lmu.edu or hand delivered to the Center for Service and Action, located in St. Robert’s Annex, by 5:00pm PST on Tuesday, January 19, 2016.
To be considered for the Community Action Grant, the individual must fulfill the following criteria:
- Applicant must be either full-time undergraduate students and must be registered with a minimum of 12 units or graduate students registered with a minimum of 6 units for spring 2016.
- Applicant submits a typed and completed Community Action Grant application.
- Applicant provides a Letter of Support, printed on organization letterhead and signed by the agency site supervisor. The Letter of Support must demonstrate an agreed commitment to provide supervision, support and guidance to the applicant for the duration of the placement at the organization.
- The applicant, together with the agency supervisor, submit project plan that begins by Monday, February 8, 2016 and ends no later than Friday, April 22, 2016.
- Project teams will be asked to prepare a 15 minute presentation to the selection committee set to take place between January 29 or 31, 2014.
- The Community Action Grant Selection Committee will select ONE LMU student as the grant recipient. Recipients will be notified by Friday, January 29, 2016.
- Recipients will be asked to submit a project completion report by Monday, May 2, 2016.