Center for Service & Action established the Empowerment Fund (EF). The purpose of the Empowerment Fund is to provide Loyola Marymount students with seed money which is to be used for special events, activities & programs with service and social justice elements. Special consideration will be granted to those groups and individuals collaborating with CSA’s Community Partners.
Apply for the Empowerment Fund
Application period: September 2016 – May 2017.
LMU students (group/club/organization) may apply for a grant of up to $375 for a service project or activity.
Applications will be reviewed monthly and you will receive a response within five working days. Upon completion of your project and event, we ask you visit our office (located in St. Robert's Annex) to submit your receipts and meet with one of the Empowerment Fund Grant Reviewers to complete the evaluation. Please note that you must complete the evaluation before reimbursements are processed.
Spring 2017 Due Dates
Please note the following due dates to submit an Empowerment Fund application during the Spring '17 semester. The application is available on LMU EXP.
- January 10
- February 7
- March 14
- April 10
Conditions and Requirements
- The Empowerment Fund functions on a reimbursement basis. Approved Individuals, groups, or organizations will need access to funds necessary for the project, prior to the event. Reimbursement funds will be available after the completion of the event. In order to be reimbursed, original project receipts must be presented in a Post-Reflection interview with the EF Coordinator.
- Any changes to the project or budget must be approved by the EF Coordinator in advance of the project date.
- Approved applicants must contact the CSA within 1 week following the date of the project to schedule a Post-Reflection Interview.
- All proposals must have a service or social justice focus.
- All events, activities, or programs must collaborate with a community partner, 501 (c) (3) determined by the Internal Revenue Service.
- All proposals must include project dates that occur in the same semester as the application in which the proposal is submitted.
- Requests cannot exceed $375 per project.
- Funds may not be used for personal expenses, which include but are not limited to: applicant accessory, clothing, living, medical, or school expenses and supplies not listed on application form.
- Funds may be used for the following: Project supplies particular to the event (example: A cleanup of a local youth center that requires paint, brushes, brooms, dust pans ect.), publicity, food, and transportation costs. Funding outside of the above parameters must be approved by CSA.
- Applicants looking for funding to offset transportation costs will be awarded 75% of the maximum amount requested. (If a bus costs $500 and the total amount that can be requested is $375, the maximum amount the Empowerment Fund will cover is 75% of the maximum or $281.25).
- Projected expense summaries must be detailed. For example: Home Depot: Paint $50, Brushes $30, Brooms $20; TOTAL: $100.
- Requests may not duplicate Student Reserve Board (SRB) requests. SRB award notification may be requested by CSA for verification purposes.
- Individual/Groups/Organizations will not be funded more than once per semester.
The 16-17 Empowerment Fund Application is available now.
For More Information
For additional information about the Empowerment Fund, please contact Andrew Rodriguez '17 at (310) 338-2959.