In order to maintain your F-1 and J-1 International Student Visa you must:
- Update Contact Info With Office for International Students & Scholars (OISS) Within 10 Days of Change, including residential address, phone number, or email address.
- Enroll full-time for both fall and spring semesters (minimum 12 units for undergraduates and 6 units for graduate students).
- You may request a Reduced Course Load Authorization if this is your last semester prior to graduation.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0.
- Keep your passport current or valid. If the expiration date is within 6 months, visit your country’s closest consulate or embassy and apply for a new passport.
- Accept only Authorized Employment: International students must obtain an OISS-issued authorization letter before starting work. An authorization is required for on-campus employment as well as off-campus.
- Maintain Adequate Health Insurance.
If your visa has expired, and you plan on traveling outside the United States, it must be renewed in order for you to re-enter. You can do this at the U.S. embassy in your home country. F-1 and J-1 visas cannot be renewed in the United States.
Note: If your F-1 or J-1 student visa expires while you are in the U.S., you do not need to apply for a renewal until you leave the country. You are in the U.S. legally while you are an F-1 and J-1 student in good standing.
- DS-160 – You must fill and complete a new online non-immigrant visa application Form DS-160. Please check the website of US embassy in your home country for updated information
- Digital photo can be uploaded when using DS-160. Please check the specific guidelines for passport photo
- A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant’s intended period of stay in the U.S.
- Valid SEVIS Form I-20 or DS-2019 with a travel signature
- Proof of Financial Support for total amount listed on I-20 or DS-2019
- Letter of Support from OISS
- SEVIS fee receipt - if your SEVIS fee receipt is lost, be sure to check SEVIS Fee link to get a copy of your receipt. (select Check I-901 Status/ Print Payment Confirmation to print your I-901 fee receipt)
- School Transcripts (from all U.S. schools attended) and Proof of enrollment for next semester
- Tuition Fee Receipt
- Proof of residency in your home country that you have no intention of abandoning
- LMU Student I.D. Card
- Previous Form I-20s or DS-2019s from all U.S. schools attended (if applicable)