FIRST STEPS AS A LION
Welcome to Loyola Marymount University! Now that you are a part of the LMU family, we welcome you to take your first steps as a Lion!
New Student Orientation
- June Orientation is when you learn more about LMU’s traditions and how to get involved during your first year. During these two days, you will be introduced to campus resources, other students in your college and an overnight preview of life in a freshman residence hall. Check out the New Student Orientation website for more information!
Each class is given a motto, chosen by the class before them. At graduation, your class will reflect upon its time at LMU and how it has lived out its motto. Your motto provides you with a unique identity not only with your graduating class but also as an LMU Lion.
Previous Class Mottos
- Class of 2008 – "Make each day a masterpiece."
- Class of 2009 – "Sapere Aude! Dare to be wise!" – Horace
- Class of 2010 – “Those who know others are learned; those who know themselves are wise.” – Lao Tze
- Class of 2011 – “Honor the past, value the present, create the future.”
- Class of 2012 – “Sit in humility, rise in responsibility.” – Akan Proverb
- Class of 2013 – “Life is not about finding yourself, life is about creating yourself.” – George Bernard Shaw
- Class of 2014 – “The purpose of life is a life of purpose.” – Robert Byrne
- Class of 2015 – “Live the life you have imagined.” – Henry David Thoreau
- Class of 2016 – “Go forth and set the world on fire.” – St. Ignatius Loyola
- Class of 2017 – "This world is but a canvas for our imaginations." – Henry David Thoreau
- Class of 2018 – "What is easy is seldom excellent." – Samuel Johnson
- Class of 2019 - "The choices we make dictate the life we lead." - Jim Burnstein
Welcome to LMU! We invite our students and parents to join us during Welcome Weekend to engage in activities and receptions prior to classes kicking off on Monday. Join us for our annual Picnic Beneath the Palms, Family Festival and Welcome Mass to celebrate your arrival to LMU and becoming an active member of our LMU community.
Welcome to the first two weeks of classes! Take advantage of all the activities and social events each day to meet other students and learn more about the flairs of LMU student life. Can’t wait to see you at Hall Brawls, Club Fest, sports games, Fall Fest and more!