The Alternative Breaks Program is run through Loyola Marymount University's Center for Service and Action. The Alternative Breaks (AB) Program is a member of Break Away, the National Alternative Breaks Organization. The AB Program received Honorable Mention for the national Alternative Breaks Program of the Year Award in 2010.
The Center for Service and Action sent out our first Alternative Breaks trips in 2003, and we've been growing ever since. To get a better idea about the history of our AB Program, check out our past AB trips.
Contact the Alternative Breaks Program
For more information, contact Jessica Viramontes, Assistant Director, Alternative Breaks
Phone: (310) 338-2959
Mission of the Alternative Breaks Program
The mission of Loyola Marymount University's Alternative Breaks Program is to promote service and cultural exchange on the local, national, and international level through hands-on, community based learning. Students are immersed in diverse contexts with concrete challenges that heighten social awareness and inspire lifelong social action.
Alternative Breaks Program Goals
- Raise awareness about social injustice and the structures that perpetuate it.
- Immerse participants in a new cultural context.
- Encourage members of the LMU community to approach service as a partnership with the community being served.
- Encourage reflection and spiritual examination in the context of service and action.
- Develop critical thinkers that will reflect about social conditions and the roots causes of problems.
- Take initiative to take action and create social change.