Center for Service & Action established the Empowerment Grant (EG). The purpose of the Empowerment Grant is to provide Loyola Marymount students with seed money which is to be used for special events, activities & programs with service and social justice elements. Special consideration will be granted to those groups and individuals collaborating with CSA's Community Partners.
Apply for the Empowerment Grant
LMU students (group/club/organization/individuals) may apply for a grant of up to $375 for a service project or activity with the objective of making a positive impact on the LMU or Los Angeles community and/or increasing awareness of a social justice topic. Please take the time to read the following information to familiarize yourself with the application/post-event process.
Click here for the Empowerment Grant Application 2020-21.
Applications will be reviewed monthly and you will receive a response from the EG coordinator within 5 working days. Upon completion of your project and event, you are required to submit your receipts. Please note that you must complete and submit the Empowerment Grant Post-Event Progress Report (on LEO) and any/all original receipts so that reimbursements may be processed.
Application Period: September 1, 2020 - April 1,2021
The due dates for the Empowerment Grant Application are the 1st of every month for the academic year (September 1st, October 1st...until April 1st). You may turn in your application as early as you like. Please note that you must allow some time for the coordinator to look over your application and possibly ask for clarification on your project. For example, if the event is on November 3rd, the application should be submitted in October, not the November 1st deadline (2 days notice is too short).
Conditions and Requirements
- The Empowerment Grant functions on a reimbursement basis. Approved individuals, groups, or organizations will need access to funds necessary for the project prior to the event. Reimbursement funds will be available after the completion of the event. In order to be reimbursed, applicants must turn in original receipts, event/project photos, and a detailed progress report to the EF coordinator.
- Any significant changes to the project or budget must be approved by the EG Coordinator before the event date.
- Approved applicants must complete the Post-Event Progress Report on the CSA portal on LEO and contact the EG coordinator to schedule a Post-Event Reflection Interview and present all original receipts 2 weeks after the event date in order to be reimbursed.
- All proposals must have a service or social justice focus that will benefit the LMU community and/or any community partners or organizations.
- All events, activities, or programs must collaborate with a community partner, 501(c)(3) determined by the Internal Revenue Service.
- All proposals must include project dates that occur in the same semester as the application in which the proposal is submitted.
- Requests cannot exceed $375 per project.
- Funds may not be used for personal expenses, which include but are not limited to: applicant accessory, clothing, living, medical, or school expenses and supplies not listed on application form.
- Funds may be used for the following: project supplies particular to the event (for example: a cleanup of a local youth center that requires paint, brushes, brooms, dust pans, ect.), publicity, food, and transportation costs. Funding outside of the above parameters must be approved by CSA.
- Projected expense summaries must be included with the application, detailed, and typed onto an Excel spreadsheet. For example, Home Depot-Paint $50, brushes $30, brooms $20, Total = $100.
- Requests may not duplicate Student Activity Fee Allocation Board (SAFAB) requests. SAFAB award notification may be requested by CSA for verification purposes.
- Individual/Groups/Organizations will not be funded more than once per semester.
For More Information
If you have any questions, please contact Patrick Furlong.