The Donald A. Strauss Foundation partners with Loyola Marymount University for the opportunity to award an LMU student the opportunity to design a public service project. The scholarship will provide you with $15,000 to fund your service project.
Note: Your LMU financial aid will not be adversely affected if you are selected as a recipient.
- Demonstrated an interest in public service.
- Outstanding leadership potential.
- Developed and can demonstrate effective communication skills.
- Possess the desire to "make a difference” in local, regional, national or international communities.
- Have one full year remaining until graduation.
- Have GPA in the upper 1/3 of his or her class.
- Submitted an innovative, original, public service proposal & additional supporting materials.
- Sophomores and Juniors are eligible to apply.
1. Two current official transcripts
2. Minimum of two and a maximum of three letters of recommendation from individuals who are well acquainted with the student's work (academic or service); these can be from a current academic institution, organizations (including community or public service organizations), former teachers, employers, community representative, etc.
3. Application information should include an application summary that lists:
- the university's name;
- the applicant's name, addresses (permanent and local/campus), phone numbers (campus and cell), GPA, major, interests and hobbies;
- the Project Title and a ONE PARAGRAPH executive summary of the Proposal;
4. One page Personal Statement (the perfect opportunity for the Strauss Foundation to meet you - on paper!).
5. One Page Resume (include current and past community service)
6. Project Proposal: Each nominee will submit a proposal for a community or public service project which would be carried out May 2019 through April 2020, between the end of his or her Junior year and the spring of the Senior year. The proposal document should be limited to 4 pages typed and double spaced . These proposals shall become a major focus of the selection process.
Proposal Focus Areas:
- Project Introduction / Background
- Program Description
- Partners & Resources
- Budget (up to $15,000)
7. Signed and dated Acceptance Agreement. You can download the most current Agreement from the Strauss website.
For more information, contact Patrick Furlong by calling (310) 338-2959.