The iconic LMU sign located on the side of the bluff

Office for International Students and Scholars provides the resources and information below to help you get settled into living and working as part of the Loyola Marymount University community in Los Angeles.

Report to OISS

Federal regulations require that all international visitors, students and scholars report their arrival to Office for International Students and Scholars. Exchange Visitors are required to check in immediately (no later than 30 days from program start date on DS-2019) with OISS for document verification and validation of their exchange program.

What to Bring to Meeting

  • Passports
  • J-1/J-2 visa
  • DS-2019 forms
  • I-94 printout
  • Health insurance information
  • Any of these items for family members who will be coming with you to LMU.

Meeting Agenda

  • OISS Services and Programs
  • J-1 Rules and Regulations, including:
    • Two Year Home Residency Requirement (212e)
    • Incidental employment Restriction and J-2 Employment (if applicable)
    • International Travel
  • Health Insurance Requirements for Scholars
  • California Driver’s License & Transportation
  • Social Security Number
  • Tax Information

Report to your Host Department

Make an appointment to meet with your faculty sponsor and/or host department contact person, especially if you need to submit any documents. Please inquire with your faculty sponsor/department regarding setting up your One Card (LMU ID number and card) and library access.

Secure Housing

Visit Off Campus Student Life for a list of off-campus housing options near LMU.

Get Health Insurance

All J-1 Exchange Visitors and their J-2 dependents are required by federal regulations to maintain health insurance for the entire period of their stay. You must provide proof of qualifying health insurance upon arrival.

Social Security Number

If you are employed, you meet the eligibility to apply for Social Security Number. Please be sure to visit the Social Security Office, at least 10 days after your arrival to U.S., and after your program has been validated by OISS.

Learn more about applying for a Social Security Number.

Employee Rights

If you are employed in the United States, it’s important that you know the “Rights and Protections for Temporary Workers.”  For more information about US law on this topic, you can read the Wilberforce Pamphlet on the Department of State website. This information is offered in many different languages. You will need to get a Social Security Card if you will be earning money in the U.S.

Driver's License & California ID Card

All an F-1 or J-1 students or scholars must apply for a California driver's license if you plan to drive a car. Learn more about applying for a California Driver's License.