About Community of Care (COC)
The mission of Loyola Marymount University supports the encouragement of learning, the education of the whole person and the service of faith and the promotion of justice. As a staff or faculty member, you may encounter students who need your assistance. Being aware of signs of distress and sources of help can aid in handling these situations. In keeping with the university's mission, the primary commitment of Community of Care (COC) is to support and advise you in your interactions with students of concern. You may be the first contact and play an important role at LMU in providing resources to support our students.
The Community of Care Team is an interdisciplinary team of trained professionals from Student Affairs, Academic Affairs and the Department of Public Safety (DPS) that meets regularly to collaboratively address the needs of students of concern, monitor student behavior, direct students/faculty/staff to campus and community resources and consult with departments or individuals impacted by a student's behavior. COC is coordinated by the Student Affairs Dean's Office (SADO).
Referring Students to COC
When to Refer
- If you are concerned about the welfare of a student, yourself, or other students.
- If your effort to manage a significant classroom behavioral concern has not resolved the problem.
- If you have referred the student in the past and there seems to be no improvement or things seem to be worsening.
- If a student requests assistance in dealing with personal issues that are outside of your area of expertise or your role as a faculty or staff member.
What about confidentiality?
The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) does not prohibit the sharing of personal observations and knowledge about a student among campus officials when there is a legitimate concern related to campus safety.
If you are concerned about a student, call SADO to discuss your concerns and your options. Concerned parents are also welcome to call SADO to discuss options for your child.
When in Doubt, Refer Student to Community of Care
Online Referral (via MyLMU)
- Go to my.lmu.edu
- Click on the "System Logins" drop down menu
- Click on the "Community of Care Referral Form" link
- Fill out and submit the online referral form
Online Referral (via PROWL - for faculty)
- To refer a student currently enrolled in your class, go to the photo roster in PROWL and click on the "Community of Care Referral Form" link.
Contact Student Affairs Dean's Office (SADO)
- Call SADO at (310) 338-3756 or send an e-mail to email@example.com
Community of Care Staff
To learn more about Community of Care staff, click here.
|Paul Vu||Assistant Dean of Students|
|Lorianne Harrison Reyes||Student Affairs Resource Coordinator|
|Jin Mims||Case Manager|
|Ginevra Are Cappiello||Graduate Assistant|
|Shannon Taylor||Director of Off-Campus Student Life, Case Manager|
|Julia Wade||Associate Director for Office of Student Conduct and Community Responsibility, Case Manager|