If you experience sexual assault, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence or stalking, it is important to remember that it is not your fault. The most important thing you can do is to get the assistance that you need by taking the following steps:

1. Safe Place

Go to a safe place as soon as you can.

2. Preserve Physical Evidence

Preserve all physical evidence. Do not wash your face or hands, bathe, brush your teeth, drink or eat, douche or change clothes.

If you do change your clothes, put all clothing you were wearing at the time of the assault in individual paper bags (not plastic). It is important to preserve as much evidence as possible for investigation and processing of criminal and/or disciplinary charges.

3. Contact LMU Public Safety

Contact LMU Department of Public Safety:

  • Off Campus: (310) 338-2893
  • On Campus: 222

Loyola Marymount University's Public Safety can also be reached by activating the blue light boxes located throughout campus. Public Safety can assist you in reporting a crime that occurred off campus to the appropriate authorities. You may decline to report your experience to such authorities.

4. Seek Medical Treatment

Seek immediate or prompt medical treatment (typically within 72 hours). It is important to seek immediate or prompt and necessary follow-up medical attention for several reasons:

  1. To assess and treat any physical injuries you may have sustained.
  2. To determine the risk of sexually transmitted diseases or pregnancy and take appropriate medical measures.
  3. If you choose, you may have evidence collected and preserved to aid in the investigation and processing of criminal prosecution and/or disciplinary action.

It is best for any physical evidence to be collected within the first 24 hours following the incident (the quality and quantity of evidence collected later than this may be substantially diminished).

5. Visit the Rape Treatment Center

Visit the Rape Treatment Center at UCLA Medical Center, Santa Monica: (424) 259-7208.

The Rape Treatment Center can provide general medical treatment and, if you choose, collection of evidence. A medical exam could include treatment of any physical problems; evaluation of risks; various lab tests for sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy; appropriate treatment; identification and collection of physical evidence of any Sexual Assault. A specially trained nurse will perform the evidence collection exam.

A Sexual Assault advocate or a support person of your choice may be present throughout the procedure.

The Rape Treatment Center hospital emergency department follows national standards for victim care, Sexual Assault exams and evidence collection procedures. If the decision is made to conduct an evidence collection exam, the anonymous evidence may be held for six months or longer. This means you do not have to decide immediately whether or not you want to press charges.

The Rape Treatment Center also provides long term counseling support for victims of Sexual Assault and sexual violence, as well as advocacy and accompanying services.

6. Meet with your SARA

Meet with your assigned Student Affairs Resource Administrator (SARA).

LMU will assign you a SARA following a report being submitted to Public Safety. Your SARA is a Student Affairs professional trained to provide you with information about resources available to you both on and off campus. The SARA can receive requests for interim measures and review your options with you. SARAs will also review with you the University's conduct process and LMU's policy against retaliation.

7. Schedule Medical Treatment

Schedule non-emergency medical treatment: (310) 338-2881.

Even if you choose not to go to the hospital or to seek immediate medical attention, it is still important to get medical attention to treat any physical problems and to conduct various lab tests for sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy.

Student Health Services

To arrange non-emergency treatment, contact the Student Health Services via telephone or as a walk-in visit to their office in the Burns Recreation Center, between 8 a.m.to 5 p.m.

If you say that you have been a victim of Sexual Assault, sexual violence, Domestic Violence, Dati ng Violence or Stalking, you will be offered a general medical examination by a licensed health care provider. You will also be offered a referral to Student Psychological Services (SPS) for counseling and support.

8. Utilize Student Psychological Services

Utilize LMU's counseling services by calling Student Psychological Services at (310) 338-2868.

SPS has mental health professionals available for students in crisis. During regular office hours you can call SPS or come to the office located in the Burns Recreational Center. Office hours are Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 8am-7pm and on Thursday and Friday from 8am-5pm. A therapist will see you without an appointment if you have an emergency.

After hours, please call Public Safety at (310) 338-2893.