First Year Experience (FYE) at Loyola Marymount University works collaboratively with many departments on campus to offer programs that aid in the successful transition of first-year students to LMU. FYE's programs are guided by the five pillars of the LMU EXP that inspire students to integrate knowledge with action so they become leaders that transform the world.
New Student Orientation
June Orientation is when you learn more about Loyola Marymount University’s traditions and how to get involved during your first year. During these two days, you will be introduced to campus resources, other students in your college and get an overnight preview of life in a freshman residence hall. Check out the New Student Orientation website for more information.
LMU Class Mottos
Each class is given a motto, chosen by the class before them. At graduation, your class will reflect upon its time at LMU and how it has lived out its motto. Your motto provides you with a unique identity not only with your graduating class but also as an LMU Lion.
- Class of 2021 - "Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandela
- Class of 2020 - "It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are." - E.E. Cummings
- Class of 2019 - "The choices we make dictate the life we lead." - Jim Burnstein
- Class of 2018 – "What is easy is seldom excellent." – Samuel Johnson
- Class of 2017 – "This world is but a canvas for our imaginations." – Henry David Thoreau
- Class of 2016 – “Go forth and set the world on fire.” – St. Ignatius Loyola
- Class of 2015 – “Live the life you have imagined.” – Henry David Thoreau
- Class of 2014 – “The purpose of life is a life of purpose.” – Robert Byrne
- Class of 2013 – “Life is not about finding yourself, life is about creating yourself.” – George Bernard Shaw
- Class of 2012 – “Sit in humility, rise in responsibility.” – Akan Proverb
- Class of 2011 – “Honor the past, value the present, create the future.”
- Class of 2010 – “Those who know others are learned; those who know themselves are wise.” – Lao Tze
- Class of 2009 – "Sapere Aude! Dare to be wise!" – Horace
- Class of 2008 – "Make each day a masterpiece."
Meet classmates, faculty and get comfortable with your new campus home before classes begin. This is when students move in to residence halls and meet with Residence Hall Advisors. Students and families will also have the opportunity to attend a resource and involvement festival, celebrate LMU’s cultural diversity and attend a Celebration Mass. The weekend will conclude with students attending LMU’s big beginning of the year kick-off, Academic Convocation.
Programming for Out of State Students
First Year Experience welcomes out of state students to Los Angeles. We are excited to introduce you to L.A. culture through events and programs. Come out to meet fellow students from all over the country and world. Who knows, you might find your new best friend.
Welcome to L.A. Reception
Join us each year for an awesome opportunity to meet other students from your home state, enjoy delicious food and learn how to make the most of your new Los Angeles experience.