The Academic Community of Excellence (ACE) equips underrepresented students with the knowledge and skills to access and thrive in graduate and professional programs. Through advising, courses, academic and co-curricular experiences, and a supportive community of scholars ACE prepares students for masters and doctoral studies. The ACE program is a strategic initiative of the Office of Intercultural Affairs.
Benefits and Services
By participating in ACE, scholars will:
- Reside in McCarthy Hall as a part of the ACE living learning community experience (sophomore year, commuter students are exempt)
- Reside in Leavey 4 as a part of the junior living learning community (optional)
- Enroll in LIBA 1001, 1002, and 1003 (one class per semester): Strategies for Graduate and Professional School Admission I, II, and III
- Receive personalized advising to plan for graduate or professional school
- Interact with graduate and professional recruiters, students, and alumni
- Receive assistance with researching and applying for scholarships, summer research and other experiential learning opportunities
- Obtain guided practice with writing the personal statement and taking a standardized test
- Qualify for a travel subsidy to present their research at an academic conference
- Be matched with an ACE upper-class peer scholar and possibly an alum mentor
- Qualify to participate in a UROP or SURP project that focuses on a topic related to the ACE program
- Attend social activities that build cohesiveness among the ACE community
- Build relationships with students who are equally motivated to pursue a graduate or professional degree
Students must be admitted to ACE to participate in the living learning community. Applications will go out to eligible rising sophomores via email by January. Students who are admitted will begin the program in their sophomore year. Students must attend an orientation and excursion in late August.
For more information, please contact the Academic Community of Excellence at (310) 338-5348, or firstname.lastname@example.org.