Student Employment FAQs

three students in an office smiling into the camera

General FAQs

What can I do with federal work study funds?

First, log into your Workday account and complete your profile. You can search for "Work Study" jobs and apply directly through the Workday system. You can find and apply for available positions including on-campus departmental work and off-campus work study opportunities.
Work Study eligibility is determined by the Financial Aid Office. Recipients must be eligible under federal guidelines. Students may review their financial aid work study award through their student account in PROWL. Please visit Financial Aid for more information regarding Work Study.

I don't have work study. Can I still work on campus?

Yes! Many departments such as Housing, the School of Film and Television, and Burns Rec (and more) hire students with non-work study funds. LMU also has vendors on campus (LMU Dining, Jamba Juice, etc.) that hire students regardless of work-study eligibility. These positions can be found on Workday by filtering for "Non-Work Study" positions under the "Job Profile" filter.

What are my options for part-time work outside of LMU?

There are many opportunities available for you to explore. The best tool to find off campus employment is Handshake, a job board run by the Office of Career and Professional Development. Additionally, LMU's Job Location and Development (JLD) Program can also assist you in finding a job that fits your interests and schedule, partnering with neighboring organizations and schools to employ LMU students with Work Study. Apply through Workday by searching "Lions for Learning" or "LMU Partners."

Also, check out our Community Connections Job Board to find part-time childcare, tutoring, personal assistant and freelance work.

I am a graduate student, what are my options?

Graduate students may apply to a variety of on-campus positions on Workday. Options for graduate students range from administrative positions to graduate assistantships and research assistantships to lab assistantships and more. Visit Workday to review information on current openings. Filter graduate student jobs by using the "Job Family" filter.

Where do I pick up my paycheck?

Paychecks are distributed by the Payroll Office and student employees are paid in accordance with the payroll calendar. After a pay date for which a student employee worked, paychecks will be available in the Payroll Office, located in University Hall Suite 1880. Students may also work with the Payroll Office to sign up for direct deposit on Workday. Students can also review earnings in Workday.