International Student Taxes

REMINDER: All F-1 and J-1 students must file federal tax forms every year regardless if they have or have not earned income in the U.S. If you have earned any income at all in the U.S., you must file taxes. 

All international students must complete and file Tax Form 8843 whether or not they have earned income in the U.S. All F-1 and J-1 students must file their taxes, even if they do not earn any income. Submitting your taxes on time can have a strong influence on your odds to obtain a Green Card or other non-student visas following your graduation.

Please refer to Sprintax for their Nonresident Tax Webinars for support in learning about this process.

For more information on federal tax and tax treaty, please visit the Internal Revenue Service. For information on state tax, please visit the Franchise Tax Board.

Tax Deadlines

  • April 15: if you have earned income in the U.S. (including scholarships and aid),
  • June 15: if you have not earned income in the U.S.

File Your Taxes Online Using Glacier

All students who work on campus and/or receive scholarships or assistantships must be entered into the Glacier Online Tax Compliance System. International students and scholars will receive an e-mail from containing a password and instructions on how to access the GLACIER Online Tax Compliance System. GLACIER is accessible via the Internet from any web-accessed computer from anywhere in the world. Once you receive your password and instructions, you must complete the information in GLACIER immediately. Upon completion of GLACIER registration, all international students, including law students, must submit the Tax Summary Report and W-4 to:

Amy Winger
Loyola Marymount University
1 LMU Drive, Suite 4900
Los Angeles, CA 90045
Telephone: (310) 338-5911

By registering with Glacier, you will enjoy the benefit of filing federal tax returns online.

Glacier tax assistance is only available to students registered with Glacier. Therefore, students who are not registered with Glacier but work on/off-campus may have to secure assistance for filing taxes. OISS provides general tax information and tax forms, but the OISS staff are not tax specialists. Therefore, we do not advise on taxes.