Social Security Number


A Social Security Number (SSN) are assigned to people who are authorized to work in the United States. Social Security numbers are used to report your wages to the government and to determine eligibility for Social Security benefits. You must have a valid offer of employment to be eligible for a US Social Security Number. 

Please note: YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BEGIN WORKING ON CAMPUS UNTIL YOU HAVE APPLIED FOR AND RECEIVED YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. You may begin the application process at the Social Security Administration here.


To apply, you must present the following documents to the Social Security Administration Office:

  • Offer letter from the employer
  • Employment Verification Letter from OISS (Only for On-Campus employment, complete the Permission for On-Campus Employment eForm to receive this)
  • Form SS-5 (SSN Application available online)
  • Valid passport
  • Valid I-20 (with CPT authorization if working off-campus)
  • I-94



230 East Spruce Ave.
Inglewood, CA 90301

Phone: (800) 772-1213

Hours: Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm

Public Transportation from LMU: Walk outside of the back-gates down Loyola Blvd. Take bus 115 from the corner of Loyola Blvd and Manchester Ave. After 22 stops, get off at Manchester/ Market station. Walk down Market St and turn left on Spurce Ave.

West Los Angeles

Suite 300
11500 W Olympic Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90064

Phone: (800) 772-1213

Hours: Monday- Friday 9am-4pm

Visit the Social Security Office Locator for more locations.

Identity Theft

Be careful with your Social Security card and number.  Only show your Social Security card and number to trusted employers, financial institutions, or government officials.  DO NOT carry your card around with you all the time.  If someone obtains your Social Security number, they could potentially steal your identity.  For more information please click here.