Visiting scholars, some holding up their home country's flag

Address Reporting

Regulations require that Exchange Visitors (J-1 & J-2) report any change of
address, phone or email address within 10 days of the change. Please
submit Contact Info Update e-form under J-1 Scholar Services in MyStatus.


For temporary travel overseas, Exchange Visitors must secure the
following in order to return to the U.S.:

Valid passport

Valid J-1 or J-2 visa

Valid DS-2019 with a current travel signature from OISS

SEVIS fee receipt

To request a travel signature, please submit Travel Signature Request in
MyStatus. Once endorsed, a travel signature is valid for six months.

Note: An exchange visitor that is going to be outside the US for more than
30 days on an extended absence that is work-related, must submit Out of
Country Request in MyStatus.

Automatic Visa Revalidation

Automatic visa revalidation allows J-1/J-2 holders to enter the U.S. from
Canada, Mexico, or one of the adjacent islands to the U.S. (other than
Cuba) on an expired J-1/J-2 visa if the trip is not exceeding 30 days.

For more information, please click here.

Incident Reporting

Scholars and faculty sponsors must promptly notify OISS of any serious
incident or allegation involving a J-1 Exchange Visitor sponsored by Loyola
Marymount University (LMU) or Loyola Law School (LLS) the same day the
incident or allegation occurs. Incidents are defined as situations that have or
could endanger the health, safety, or welfare of an exchange visitor or
otherwise could be expected to bring the Department of State, the Exchange
Visitor Program, or LMU/LLS's exchange visitor program into notoriety or
disrepute. Please submit Incident Report e-form in MyStatus.

Occasional Lecture and Consultation

J-1 scholars in the Professor, Research Scholar, or Short-Term Scholar
category may be authorized to participate in occasional lectures and short-
term consultations that are incidental to the J-1 scholar’s primary program
activities. The authorization must be obtained from OISS in writing prior
to engaging in the activity. Please submit Occasional Lecture and
Consultation eform in MyStatus.


Exchange Visitors may extend their stay to continue with the same
research program, provided that the faculty sponsor supports the
extension. A J-1 Extension Scholar Application must be submitted in
MyStatus at least 30 days prior to the expiration date of current DS-2019.

J-2 Dependent

Dependents (spouse & child) of J-1 Exchange Visitors may visit, live and
stay under J-2 dependent status in the U.S. as long as J-1 Exchange
Visitor is physically present. Same regulations govern J-2 dependents,
including international travel, and maintaining J-2 status. J-2 spouse is
eligible to apply for Employment Authorization Document (EAD) while living
in the U.S., as long as the income from J-2 employment will not be used to
support J-1 Exchange Visitor. For more information, please consult the
scholar advisor at OISS.

Program Commpletion

Exchange Visitors may remain in the U.S. up to 30 days from program end
date on DS-2019. This additional 30 day is called Grace Period, where EVs
may prepare for their departure, travel within the U.S. only, or change their
visa status to another visa category. During the grace period, EVs are not
allowed to engage in research/teaching activities, or work. Upon completion
of your program at LMU, Exchange Visitors must inform OISS of their final
departure date from the United States