How do I apply to The Learning Community?
Complete the Application
The application to apply for the 2022-2023 TLC Program is LIVE! Please contact us if you have any questions! The application is due June 19, 2022.
Interview with TLC
- Interviews will be conducted by the TLC staff via Zoom. Interviews will take place starting June 22 through July 1, 2022.
- All applicants will be notified of their acceptance to TLC the week of July 4, 2022.
FAQs About TLC
Who can apply for admission to TLC?
- Admission to TLC is reserved for incoming first-year students, who identify as Black or African American.
- Please note: This program is very competitive and spots are limited. The average cohort size is 30 students.
Why participate in TLC?
- Develop leadership skills to make a difference within the LMU community and beyond
- Learn what it takes to be successful at LMU
- Get a head start on university life
- Get plugged into campus resources and exclusive opportunities through your participation in the program
- Attend multiple outings to discover the cultural aspects of the greater Los Angeles area
- Meet faculty, staff and key administrators before school starts
- Move in early into your residence hall
When does TLC Program begin?
- The 2022 TLC Program begins with our summer program. This year's start date is August 12, 2022.
How much does it cost to participate?
- The TLC program is completely FREE for all participants!
What are the requirements of the program?
- Two week summer program, starting August 12 through August 24, 2022. TLC Participants will move into LMU on-campus housing on August 12.
- Must attend the entire duration of the summer program
- Must attend ALL daytime, evening and weekend programs
- Must live in on-campus housing throughout the duration of the summer program
Fall & Spring Program
- Student must enroll in the TLC one-unit leadership course during fall and spring semesters of their freshman year, held every Monday from 4:00 to 5:20 PM PST
- Monthly check-ins with the TLC Program Coordinator; and
- Participation in several initiatives and leadership opportunities within the community, both on and off-campus
Where do participants stay during the Summer Program?
- All participants will be housed on campus in accordance with their permanent housing assignment for the duration of the Summer program. Therefore, participants avoid having to transition to a different residence during Welcome Weekend.
- The same applies to commuter students. However, they will return home once the program ends.
- Summer housing for all TLC participants is free of charge.
What does a typical day in the TLC Summer Program look like?
- Days begin as early as 8 AM PST and nights end as late as 8 PM PST with breaks in between to reset. Our days are comprised of engaging classes, informative sessions, and fun community building activities!
Can students still participate in TLC, if they have a vacation or conflict during the summer program?
- Participants are required to be present and participate in the entire summer program. Only emergencies will be accommodated.