How do I apply to The Learning Community?
Complete the Application
The application to apply for the 2020-2021 TLC Program is LIVE! Please contact us if you have any questions!
Submitting your TLC Application
- Apply to join TLC by submitting the application along with your resume, highlighting co-curricular activities, leadership positions and achievements by May 18th, 2020.
Interview with TLC
- Interviews will be conducted by the TLC staff in-person (local applicants) or via phone/web conference (out of state applicants). Interviews will take place starting May 20th through May 29th, 2020.
- All applicants will be notified of their acceptance to TLC the week of June 1st, 2020.
FAQs About TLC
Who can apply for admission to TLC?
- Admission to TLC is reserved for incoming first-year students, who identify as Black or African American.
- Please note: This program is very competitive and spots are limited. The average cohort size is 30 students.
Why participate in TLC?
- Develop leadership skills to make a difference within the LMU community and beyond
- Learn what it takes to be successful at LMU
- Get a head start on university life
- Get plugged into campus resources and exclusive opportunities through your participation in the program
- Attend multiple outings to discover the cultural aspects of the greater Los Angeles area
- Meet faculty, staff and key administrators before school starts
- Move in early into your residence hall
When does TLC begin?
- The 2020 TLC Summer Program begins August 15th.
How much does it cost to participate?
- The TLC program is completely FREE for all participants!
What are the requirements of the program?
- Two week summer program, hosted on campus from August 15th-26th, 2020
- Must attend the entire duration of the summer program
- Must attend ALL daytime, evening and weekend programs
- Must live in on-campus housing throughout the duration of the summer program
Fall & Spring Program
- Student must enroll in the TLC one-unit leadership course during fall and spring semesters of their freshman year, held every Monday from 4:30 to 5:45 PM with occasional Saturday meetings for off-campus excursions
- Bi-weekly check-ins with the TLC Program Coordinator; and
- Participation in several initiatives and leadership opportunities within the community, both on and off-campus
Where do participants stay during the Summer Program?
- All participants will be housed on campus in accordance with their permanent housing assignment for the duration of the Summer program. Therefore, participants avoid having to transition to a different residence during Welcome Weekend.
- The same applies to commuter students. However, they will return home once the program ends.
- Summer housing for all TLC participants is free of charge.
What does a typical day in the TLC Summer Program look like?
- Days begin as early as 7 AM and nights end as late as 10 PM. Weekends are typically dedicated to exploring the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area. Our days are comprised of engaging classes, informative sessions, and fun community building activities!
Can students still participate in TLC, if they have a vacation or conflict during the summer program?
- Participants are required to be present and participate in the entire summer program. Only emergencies will be accommodate.