A group of students sitting in a circle listening to someone lecture.

Maintaining Status

In order to maintain your F-1 and J-1 International Student Visa you must:

  • Update Contact Info With Office for International Students & Scholars (OISS) Within 10 Days of Change, including residential address, phone number, or email address.
  • Enroll full-time for both fall and spring semesters (minimum 12 units for undergraduates and 6 units for graduate students).
  • You may request a Reduced Course Load Authorization if this is your last semester prior to graduation.
  • Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0.
  • Keep your passport current or valid. If the expiration date is within 6 months, visit your country’s closest consulate or embassy and apply for a new passport.
  • Accept only Authorized Employment: International students must obtain an OISS-issued authorization letter before starting work. An authorization is required for on-campus employment as well as off-campus.
  • Maintain Adequate Health Insurance.

Address Change FAQ

  • You must update your address within 10 days of moving to a new address. Failure to update your address change within 10 days may impact your future immigration record.

  • Yes.  

    For undergraduate students only - if you live off campus, you must report your off campus address via Off Campus Address Verification system with Off Campus Student Life.

  • No, this new process is only for students living off-campus.

  • This new process was created to give the government more accurate data for addresses and phone numbers.  We are noticing a trend of immigration issues developing from students providing incorrect addresses, or reporting addresses too late, so we created this new process to help lower these issues.

  • No.  You should only update your address if you are moving to that address.  A vacation for a few days or a week or two does not require an address change.  If you are going back to your home country over the summer or winter break, leave your address as the same until you officially move into your new address in the U.S.  Make sure you update this address within 10 days from officially moving.

  • Street Address Line 1: This should be the house number and street name

    Street Address Line 2: This should only be the apartment room number, or house room number, or can be left blank

    City, State, Zip Code: Please check spelling for these, and make sure the zip code is a five digit number


    1234 Lion Lane

    Apt 5

    Los Angeles, CA 90045


    *If you aren't sure how to type your address, you can try your best to type it into Google Maps or any electronic map, and the correct address should show up (minus Street Address Line 2)*

Visa Renewal

If your visa has expired, and you plan on traveling outside the United States, it must be renewed in order for you to re-enter. You can do this at the U.S. embassy in your home country. F-1 and J-1 visas cannot be renewed in the United States.

Note: If your F-1 or J-1 student visa expires while you are in the U.S., you do not need to apply for a renewal until you leave the country. You are in the U.S. legally while you are an F-1 and J-1 student in good standing.

Required Documents

  • DS-160 – You must fill and complete a new online non-immigrant visa application Form DS-160. Please check the website of US embassy in your home country for updated information
  • Digital photo can be uploaded when using DS-160. Please check the specific guidelines for passport photo
  • A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant’s intended period of stay in the U.S.
  • Valid SEVIS Form I-20 or DS-2019 with a travel signature
  • Proof of Financial Support for total amount listed on I-20 or DS-2019
  • SEVIS fee receipt - if your SEVIS fee receipt is lost, be sure to check SEVIS Fee link to get a copy of your receipt. (select Check I-901 Status/ Print Payment Confirmation to print your I-901 fee receipt)
  • School Transcripts (from all U.S. schools attended) and Proof of enrollment for next semester
  • Tuition Fee Receipt
  • Proof of residency in your home country that you have no intention of abandoning
  • LMU Student I.D. Card
  • Previous Form I-20s or DS-2019s from all U.S. schools attended (if applicable)