Contact First Year Experience
New Loyola Marymount University students, parents and families may have a lot of questions, concerns, ideas or moments when they need a helping hand. Email FYE, call us or just stop by our office and relax in the student lounge. Whatever you need, the First Year Experience staff is here to help.
Location: Malone Student Center 301
Tel: (310) 338-5252
Fax: (310) 258-4304
FYE Mission & Learning Outcomes
The mission of First Year Experience is to ensure the successful transition and retention of first year students at Loyola Marymount University. Through holistic programming and student outreach, students are provided with opportunities to explore and set personal and professional goals; explore the richness of the diverse LMU and Los Angeles communities; establish a connection with campus life and become prepared for life after the University.
To affect LMU freshmen retention rates. The goal is to establish a 95% retention rate of freshmen students into their sophomore year at LMU. In addition, First Year Experience seeks to change the culture of the LMU freshmen experience as a holistic approach to preparedness, engagement, and success.
- Encourage the focus of one of LMU's institutional commitments of the First Year Experience.
- Consolidate cross-campus first year initiatives, while strategically developing the First Year Experience Office as a central component of the LMU First Year Experience
- Provide clear and useful resource tools to freshmen transition.
- Support the social and academic preparedness and readiness of freshmen students.
- Support the intellectual engagement and academic success of freshmen students.
- Provide early opportunities for social interaction and campus engagement for freshmen students.
- Increased faculty/student curricular and co-curricular interactions.
- Design, implement, and maintain regular assessment tools.
- Create technologically innovative models for supporting the first year experience.
Value, Know, Act
By the end of your first year at LMU you will...
- The pursuit of higher education and begin to develop a genuine appreciation for lifelong learning.
- The opportunities for growth and exploration created by participating in LMU's diverse community.
- LMU's mission and traditions and how you play a vital part in the global community.
- About the university's resources and how to access them to enhance your college-life experience.
- As engaged members of the university community with a developed sense of personal accountability, good judgment and independent thinking that leads towards a balanced life.