Commonly Asked Questions

Three students talking together outside by the lunch benches.

  • There are several ways to make a referral to Community of Care.

    • The most common way to refer a student in need is to go to our website and click on the Make A Community of Care Referral button on our main page.
    • Some other ways to refer are by calling 310.338.3756 and speaking with someone at Community of Care.
    • Lastly, you can send us an email to with the student’s information and a brief description of the situation so we can start the referral as soon as possible.
    • Professors can refer a student currently enrolled in their class under the photo roster in PROWL by clicking on the “Community of Care Referral Form” link.
  • When Community of Care (CoC) receives a referral, we will acknowledge that we received the referral. The Director of CoC will then assign a case manager to the student. The case manager will contact the student via phone call, email, and/or text to request a meeting and schedule it. Lastly, the case manager will work with the student and create an action plan and give them the resources they need.  

  • A Community of Care meeting request is the initial meeting with the student’s case manager. During this meeting, the case manager will welcome the student, introduce themselves, and explain who they are and what they do at LMU.

    The case manager will allow the student the opportunity to talk about their lives and will clarify what the Community of Care program is by sharing that someone in the community was aware that the student was encountering an obstacle and cared enough to try to want to see the student helped.

    The case manager then will explain that the purpose of the meeting is to try to help the student with present challenges. The case manager will inform the student that the information shared will be kept private. 

    Lastly, the case manager will listen to the student’s perspective and will have recommendations and/or an action plan to help the student overcome their challenges.

  • LMU students may face an urgent concern or crisis that feels too overwhelming to wait for a scheduled appointment. SPS has an "on-call" therapist for immediate in-person intervention. Due to COVID-19, for immediate concerns, please call SPS at 310-388-2868 to be connected to a therapist.


  • Student Psychological Services (SPS) is a service included in every student’s tuition at no extra cost. SPS therapists have advanced degrees, training, and experience in clinical and counseling psychology. SPS is here to help students develop their full personal, social, and intellectual potential during their years at LMU. We also hope to help students adapt to life's many challenges and opportunities.

    To contact Student Psychological Services at Loyola Marymount University or to make an appointment, call (310) 338-2868.

    In case of an emergency or crisis, contact:

    • On-Campus Emergencies: LMU Public Safety at (310) 338-2893
    • Off-Campus & Life-Threatening Emergencies: 911
  • Students who are seeking to take a temporary break from studies may apply for a Leave of Absence (Leave) for up to two years or four semesters. Once the request is approved and processed, the students on a leave retain their admitted status; however, they do not have the rights and privileges of registered students as they are currently not attending classes, such as participating in student activities. A student may take a leave from the university on or before the last day to withdraw from a term. A Leave in the current term cannot be processed if this deadline has passed. In this case, you should complete your courses and you will receive final grades in each. Your Leave will be processed after final grades have been posted, and take effect in the subsequent term.

  • Students who are taking a Leave due to medical reasons, including mental health issues. You may check with Student Accounts to see if you are enrolled in a Tuition Refund Insurance Plan with A.W.F. Dewar, Inc.

  • A student returning from a Medical Leave of Absence must:

    1. Submit a letter to the Dean of Students and the student’s Academic Dean’s Office. The letter must include the following:
      1. Describe the circumstances which led to the Medical Leave of Absence from LMU;
      2. Discuss how the issues have been addressed that led to Medical Leave of Absence;
      3. Describe why you feel that you are ready to return to LMU;
      4. Describe what steps you will take to assist you in your transition back to the University and what support you will need.
    2. Fill out the Return from LOA form available on the Registrar’s website.
    3. Contact the Chair of your academic department or your Academic Dean’s Office to inform the department of your intent to return and expected semester of return.
    4. Meet with your Academic Dean’s Office/ advisor prior to registering for classes.
    5. Meet all financial aid deadlines for the academic year.
    6. Check PROWL for any additional holds that need to be addressed - clear these holds.
    7. Complete the SADO Consent to Release Form attached that allows the mutual sharing of information regarding treatment between the University and the treating professionals.
    8. Provide a Return from MLOA Form on professional letterhead addressed to the LMU Dean of Students. Your Healthcare Provider must respond to the following questions in their letter:
      1. What treatment modalities did the student receive since initiating the MLOA from LMU?
      2. Has the treatment program been completed? If not, how frequently does the student need to see you? Has the student been referred for continuing treatment?
      3. Has there been improvement of the student’s original condition in terms of number, severity and persistence of symptoms?
      4. What specific plans and recommendations regarding prevention, relapse or recurrence of similar problems have you and the student discussed?

    Additional information for consideration before returning to LMU:

    • If planning on residing on campus, contact the Student Housing Office at (310) 338-2963 and submit all the necessary forms to apply for housing and meet all deadlines.
    • A student with a disability may be eligible for reasonable accommodations and/or special services in accordance with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disability Amendments Act (ADAA) of 2008. You are responsible for communicating you requests for academic accommodations to Disability Support Services (310) 338-5344.

    The above steps must be completed no later than August 1st to return for the fall semester, December 1st for the spring semester, and April 15th for the summer sessions. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Community of Care at (310) 338-3756.


    • You must opt into Dewers Insurance. You can log into your PROWL account and check if you Opted into Dewers.
    • What is Dewers Insurance? Tuition insurance covers room and board in cases where there is an injury, sickness, or mental health withdrawal from the University. For more information visit the Dewers Insurance web page.


  • Students who go on Leave before the withdrawal deadline may submit an online form to start the reinstatement process. For information on the return process and recommended considerations are outlined on the “Return from Leave of Absence” page found under the “Forms” menu of the Office of Registrar’s webpage. You can also click Return from Leave of Absence for more information. Community of Care staff are available to provide support through the return process.

    For more detailed information please visit our Leave of Absence Guide – Insert Jin’s guide here.

  • For more detailed information about Academic Degree Requirements and Policies please click here to go to the Registrar’s page.

  • FERPA is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act passed by Congress in 1974. FERPA is designed to protect the privacy of students by limiting third-party access to student education records. It restricts what student information we can share, even to family members and friends.

    Click here for more detailed information about FERPA. 

  • The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) is a federal law that required the creation of national standards to protect sensitive patient health information from being disclosed without the patient’s consent or knowledge. The US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) issued the HIPAA Privacy Rule to implement the requirements of HIPAA. The HIPAA Security Rule protects a subset of information covered by the Privacy Rule.

    Click here for more information about HIPAA.

  • Be proactive about your academic advising.

    Locate your assigned Academic Advisor on PROWL:

    1. Login to PROWL.
    2. Click on Student Records.
    3. Click on Student Information (3rd on list).
    4. This will show your program, registration status, standing, and advisor.
    5. Click on the envelope icon to email your advisor.
    6. Email your advisor and request an appointment: Include your name, major, year (freshman, sophomore, etc) and ID number on your email. If you have specific questions, you should list them in the email.
  • A case manager will work with you to get back on track if you are falling behind in your academics but LMU offers a lot of options for you to have a successful college experience. Some of the resources for you are: