Recent Graduates & Alumni

A painted graduation cap that says

Loyola Marymount University international alumni who engage in a regular Optional Practical Training (OPT) or STEM OPT extension, must fulfill a reporting requirement with USCIS. Even though the students have completed their degrees, their visa is still sponsored by LMU during their time under OPT.

Optional Practical Training Reporting Requirements

The following information must be reported to OISS during the post-completion OPT period of authorization within 10 days of any changes:

  • Your legal name
  • Your residential address
  • Your phone and email address
  • Employer name
  • Employer address
  • Start date of employment
  • Any periods of unemployment
  • Date of permanent departure from the U.S., if departing before the OPT expiration date

When you are ready, OPT Reporting is available in MyStatus.

STEM Extension OPT Reporting Additional Requirements

F-1 visa students with a degree in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics may apply for a 24-month STEM OPT extension.

LMU students under STEM Extension OPT are required to submit all the OPT materials listed above. In addition, students must submit a Validation Report (a confirmation that the student's name and address, employer's name and address, and loss of employment status are current and accurate).

Students must submit the Validation Report to OISS every six months starting from the 17th month of the extension and ending when the student's F-1 status ends. Students must submit the Validation Report whether or not there are any changes.

Failure to submit a Validation Report within a timely manner will result in your SEVIS record automatically set to TERMINATED status with a reason of “Failure to Report while on OPT”, and you will no longer be considered in a valid F-1 status.

Please use the this link for STEM OPT reporting. 

If you have any questions about your reporting and evaluation responsibility under STEM OPT, please review the STEM OPT Hub provided by DHS.

Life After OPT

If you plan to work beyond your allotted OPT period, you must acquire an appropriate visa in order to continue employment in the U.S. There are different types of employment visas and applying can be quite complex. Make sure to review all options and criteria. Following is a link to helpful resource handouts from the Post Graduate Visa Options workshop. It contains various employment visa options, either in Nonimmigrant Visas (NIV) or Immigrant Visa (IV). If further consultation is needed, please contact OISS for an immigration attorney referral.