Wellness Workshops & Groups
Student Psychological Services (SPS) offers a variety of Virtual Wellness Workshops and Groups! See below for descriptions of each Workshop and Group and sign up today! Call our office at (310) 338-2868 for questions regarding Wellness Groups and Workshops.
Led by Vivi Vallin, LPCC, / start date pending / runs 10 wks
In-person SPS group room - *Interview required* (participants can join at any time)
No previous yoga experience required* no equipment needed*
- Sessions will include a chair practice that incorporates yoga/somatic movement and time for reflecting together
- Learn about trauma concepts and how to increase the feeling of safety in your body by practicing pacing, choice and self-compassion
Taking ACTion to Work Through Depression
Led by Jedd Alejandro, Ph.D. / Monday February 6th – April 10th @ 3:00 -4:00pm / Location, SPS Group Room / Interview Required
- An educational and skills-based group focused on learning to respond differently to distressing thoughts and feelings so that you can live a meaningful and fulfilling life based on what is important to you.
Led by Hung Tran, Psy.D. / Monday January 30th - March 27th / @ 4:30-5:30pmIn-person / *Interview required*
-Learn about the stages of grief and other useful tools for coping with bereavement.
-Recieve comfort and support from other students who are also grieving a significant loss.
The Anxiety Toolbox
Led by Orlando Gunekesere, Psy.D. / Thursday, January 26th - March 16th @ 3 to 4 PM / Location, SPS Group Room / Interview Required
- This group is a place where you can better understand the anxiety you are experiencing and how you can better manage it.
Led by Mimi Hoang, Ph.D. / start date pending / drop-ins welcome
-A communal space for busy graduate students also navigating being a sexual and/or gender minority
-Explore ways to build resilience amidst school, work, family, dating, politics, or other stressors
Led by Alejandro Aguirre, LMFT. / begins Wed February 8th - February 22nd, 3:30-4:30pm / runs 3 weeks / Drop ins welcome
- Explore how our self-perceptions impact our mood and social interactions.
- Discuss internal perceptions and how to navigate their impacts on our emotional experience.
Led by Mimi Hoang, Ph.D. / Fri, Jan 20th @ 10am-11am; Wed, Jan 25th @ 5pm-6pm; Mon, Jan 30th @3pm-4pm
· Gain a better understanding of your friendship landscape and what may be missing in your social life.
· Beat isolation, improve your social skills, and learn how to connect with others during this COVID era.
Led by Ben Gallenson, Psy.D. / begins Tues, January 17th - March 7th @ 11am / Location, SPS Group Room
- Emotion Regulation Skills Training Group will help you learn how to understand your emotions and what they do and change unhelpful patterns to promote problem-solving, let you feel more in control, and communicate effectively.